Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Some Cards

Running stitch into holes on card, with detached button hole etc
Managed to make some cards after months of working towards it and accidentally sending off for card blanks several times. 

The initial ideas I had didn't work cos I still have difficulty with counted stuff cos of the memory difficulties - I have to recite everything, I don't retain the shapes. But am pleased with what I eventually managed. Am enjoying using the perlé threads I got off internet and using some bling. :-)

Especially chuffed with this idea of making holes in a circle, filling them with running stitch which is then the only bit which shows at the back so could be tidied up with a bit of whipped ribbon or drawing a string at the bottom like it's a balloon. Then detatched buttonhole stitch on the surface all the way round. Infact I did just one up and down detached bh on the inner and normal detached bh on the outside. The outer gives the neat edge and the inner gives a loop to be able to stitch into. All ends are hidden inside the bh. Lots of potential for fillings using needlelace and hedebo. Need to remember to have to have the threads which lace into the loops go in and out from the top of the loop not underneath - looks neater. Also for future ref useful to fix the threads in and out of loops with little knots like in lattice stitch or an up and down bh as it keeps the work more stable. Tho it does mean less tweakability later.

one up and down detached bh on the inner making a loop to thread into and normal detached bh on the outside

Basque Stitch, Detached chain, Fly Stitch, French Knots.

Basque Stitch, Detached chain,

Fly Stitch, French Knots

Herringbone Square, Detached Buttonhole

Herringbone Square, Detached Buttonhole

Beaded Detached Buttonhole

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I like this hole in the fabric with the bling and also the little patches with our Tast stitches are beautiful. It certainly inspires me to try also. To you know this link?
    http://textiledreamer.wordpress.com/needlepoint-lace-tutorial/
    I kept it alrelady for quite some time - it is such a good tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another time: You made it on a card, the hole. I will try both! Fabric and card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Annelise. I drew 16 dots in a circle on the card, poked holes in them with the compass point, then went up and down them with running stitch so it make a sewn circle on the front and the inside of the card. I kept the start and finish threads on the top so I could hide them in the detached button hole after. Inside the card it just makes this thread circle. It's based on the idea of Hedebo where you cut out the fabric and stitch it down with buttonhole then fill in the hole with needlelace etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annelise, I do like the needlelace link. I'll add it to my collection - you might like to look at these - I dream of being able to do some of this stuff it's so delicate and pretty :-) http://thethreadbear.blogspot.fr/2013/05/needlelace-links.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good at combining stitches for beautiful constellations.
    The 'card trick' is very neat, and if you don't mind I will copy your idea!

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, Thanks for coming here. I enjoy your comments. xx Liz xx