Thursday, 2 May 2013

Scroll, Looped Cross, and Needlelace experiments

Scroll, Looped Cross, and Needlelace experiments
 Well, this has been fun to do. I saw some detached buttonhole stitch on some Stumpwork and thought it looked a bit messy so decided to try out the alternatives. Managed to do a row of plain, row of purl by doing the first part of up and down buttonhole as the up and the second rows as the down part of the stitch. Makes a nice neat pattern and smooth surface. So that's just loops. The hedebo stitch is loops with a twist. Lattice is one knot and detached up and down buttonhole is 2 knots. Chuffed with the effects. 



Must think more about the edges. Had to redo several times to get them even. Must do the same thing every time what ever that thing is. Used chain stitch to loop into. Buttonhole would be more tight but I knew I wasn't going to be doing any cutting out so took the easy way out. Probably need to whip round the outline to tidy it up another time.

Am still on my holiday from splitting up the threads. Feels very junior school to use just think threads but I can't do more till my health is better. Glad I've got this batch of cheap threads off the internet. Had fun using bright colours. Another time might rethink which colour to use for which stitch. Pale colour on widest stitch leaves too much pale and too much contrast. Doesn't ruin the piece, just a tweak.

I'm so daft, why didn't I just do little squares for trials ? Still I've learned about shaping and gradually expanding the stitches the further away from the middle.


Detached Buttonhole

Detached Up and Down Buttonhole

Hedebo Buttonhole

Lattice

Looped 6 Leg Cross Stitch Rose

Scroll Stitch

6 comments:

  1. I'm full of admiration for your experiment. The result is stunning! Real eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a pretty good job - also describing what you did is just wonderful for me. A beautiful sample.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Liz!! beautiful work done perfectly..Thank you for the detailed stitch posts. Need to learn couple of stitches which I do not know.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, Thanks for coming here. I enjoy your comments. xx Liz xx